Senior Safety Officer
|Senior Safety Officer|
|Texas Tech Univ Health Sciences Ctr|
|HSC - Amarillo|
|Safety Service Ama|
|Performs complex safety and health program work. Work involves developing safety policies and procedures; participating in the safety training and education of staff; inspecting work areas and activities for hazards; and investigating accidents. May train others. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.|
| * Assists with providing health, safety and environmental consultation to Amarillo campus stakeholders and manages related concerns.|
* Assists with managing occupational safety, environmental protection, radiation protection, laboratory safety, fire and life safety, and safety educational programs for the Amarillo campus.
* Assists with management of the local Unit Safety Officer program.
* Assists with Office and Ergonomic Safety Education and Training in coordination with Education & Training division. Conducts ergonomic evaluations of workstations for the institution as requested.
* Assists with ethyl alcohol (ethanol) inventory and distribution program for campus.
* Assists with management of biological, chemical, and radiological inventories for campus including bar-coding and periodic inventory verification. Provides pickup and disposal services of hazardous waste materials.
* Assists with performance checks of Chemical Fume Hoods, Safety Showers and Eye/Face Wash Stations and other related equipment. Helps PI's assure timely certification of Biological Safety Cabinets.
* Assists in responding to HAZMAT incidents involving hazardous materials and assisting in decontamination to the extent of his/her experience and training.
* Assists with Emergency Management & Preparedness for the campus; assists with development, implementation, and review of local Emergency Management Plans.
| * Assists with review of current laws, regulations and/or guidelines relating to biological, chemical, radiological, laboratory, occupational, and environmental safety.|
* Conducts safety program inspections, audits and surveys. Prepares corrective action and preventive measure reports.
* Assists in providing consultation and training as required to meet applicable rules, regulations, policies, and standards relating to the packaging, labeling, and transport of hazardous materials.
* Assists with assurance of local compliance with applicable federal, state, and local environmental rules, regulations, policies and standards.
* Must have and maintain valid State of Texas Drivers License and be listed as an approved driver as determined by TTUS Office of Risk Management and insurance carrier. Must be able to pass the employee Criminal Background Check.
* Perform other job related duties as deemed necessary and assigned by supervisor(s).
|Proficiency in written and mathematical processes as may be reflected by completion of high school and two years of college level work in Occupation Health and Safety with course work in assigned area. Four years of job related experience. Additional job-related education may substitute for required experience on a year-for-year basis. Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws pertaining to occupational safety. General knowledge of safety procedures as related to assigned tasks. Ability to assist in the execution of a program of campus safety. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely.|
|Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and effectively present technical data to technical and non-technical personnel. Ability to receive inquiries / complaints and interpret regulatory guidance to a diverse customer base. OSHA 1910.120 (40 hour) hazardous waste site worker (hazwoper) certification. Radiation Safety Officer (40 hour) certification.|
|As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.|
|Resume / CV|
|Professional/Personal Reference |
Other Documents Supporting Qualifications
|Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.|
|Up to 25%|
|Normal schedule Monday thru Friday 8 to 5; On call if needed.|