Eye Bank Technician
Eye Bank Technician
Org Level 1
Texas Tech Univ Health Sciences Ctr
The Eye Bank Technician is responsible for recovering eye tissues needed for transplant and/or research; performing a donor assessment and review of all available records of each prospective donor; obtaining a blood specimen for serologic testing, and interaction with doctors, nurses, funeral directors and family members. The incumbent in this position will support the Service Plus philosophy of Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center.
Professional/Personal Reference, Professional License/Certification
Up to 75%
Under the general supervision of the Executive Director, is responsible for supervising day-to-day operation of the eye bank’s laboratory, recovery, evaluation, determining donor eligibility and distribution.
Reviews donor records to determine if tissue is eligible for surgical use for tissue procurement, processing and placement according to Eye Bank policy and procedures.
Maintains awareness of FDA regulations and guidelines.
Recommends and implements policies and procedures to maintain or improve existing eye bank functions.
Oversees the completion and proper storage of donor records, recipient records, and protocol sheets.
Performs surgical procedures to remove and prepare human corneal tissue for transplant and research.
Coordinates the placement of approved tissue for transplants with surgeons.
Evaluates the processed cornea to determine suitability of tissue for human transplant.
Coordinates referrals from other agencies and the call center for potential donors.
Approaches families regarding the option of donation of corneal tissue for transplantation, research and education purposes.
Minimum Hire Rate
This position will require working days, nights, weekends, holidays and on-call hours.
- Prefer college degree; however, relevant experience in eye banking may be substituted.
- Prefer a minimum of two years’ experience as an eye bank technician and current EBAA Certified Eye Bank Technician status.
- Familiarity with eye bank functions, recovery procedures, tissue evaluation, EBAA Medical Standards, FDA Guidelines, aseptic technique
- Intermediate computer skills with an emphasis on MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in devising, installing and interpreting rules, regulations, policies or procedures.
- Ability to express ideas and information, clearly, concisely, verbally and writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with subordinates, superiors, and officials of other departments.
HSC - Lubbock
Ophthalmology Dept Lbk Genl
Resume / CV
Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.
As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.
+Education:+ A minimum of a High school diploma or equivalent. Completion of a formal training program.
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 403668