Correctional Physician H91857
Correctional Physician H91857
Org Level 1
Texas Tech Univ Health Sciences Ctr
Provides professional services related to diagnosis and treatment of inmate patients. Renders medical judgment regarding care provided to inmates assigned to the unit. Works under general direction of the Unit Medical Director, with wide latitude to exercise initiative and independent judgment. Directly supervises 2 to 4 Physician Assistants or Nurse Practitioners in the unit health services.
Up to 25%
- Adheres to institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Is responsible for providing primary ambulatory medical care to the offenders of TDCJ. This includes taking an appropriate patient history, examination of patients, ordering lab or x-ray as clinically indicated, and planning and execution of treatment. Requires special knowledge and skills in general adult medicine, orthopedics, and emergency medicine.
- Provides an environment conducive to safety and security for patients, visitors, and employees. Assesses the risk to the patient and employee safely and implements appropriate precautions. Complies with approved and appropriate standards of patient care and appropriate standards of patient care as well as the policies of TTUHSC and TDCJ-ID.
- Utilizes the appropriate leadership skills in delegating and directing nursing staff.
- May perform minor surgical and orthopedic procedures commensurate with medical competency.
- Refers patients to medical specialists when appropriate and necessary, and coordinates medical care with said specialists.
- Provides immediate care for medical emergencies of offenders, employees and on-site visitors.
- Participate in regional after hours call.
- Requires special knowledge and skills in general medicine, orthopedics, and emergency medicine.
- Ability to work under pressure and to maintain patience and self control under these conditions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Supervises and coordinates efforts by other physicians, and physician extenders assigned to this unit.
- Provides coverage for appropriate and timely care to infirmary patients admitted to the unit. Manages bed space appropriately.
Minimum Hire Rate
Negotiable based on experience
Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine experience.
HSC - Correctional Managed Health Care
Abilene Robertson Unit
Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.
Other duties assigned.
As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.
+License/Certifications:+ * Current license to practice medicine by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners. * Current Drug Enforcement Agency and Texas Department of Public Safety controlled substances registration certificates.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 379695