Assistant Vice President for Federal Relations
Assistant Vice President for Federal Relations
Org Level 1
Texas Tech Univ Health Sciences Ctr
Performs executive, administrative duties concerning various aspects of operational management in support of the Service Plus philosophy and mission of Texas Tech.
Employees in this classification are responsible for leading and coordinating effective representation of Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) in its federal and state government initiatives. Advises the Administration about public policy as it affects TTUHSC with the federal and state government. Interacts and advises federal and state government officials at all levels of the mission, needs, and activities of TTUHSC. Participates in the strategic planning process. Coordinates and works through the Texas Tech University System (TTUS) federal and state representatives.
Recommendation/Referral, Other Documents Supporting Qualifications
Up to 50%
- Coordinates the effective representation of TTUHSC in its interaction with federal and state governmental entities.
- Provides staff assistance to the TTUHSC President and the Vice President of External Relations in the course of federal and state activities.
- Represents TTUHSC in its relations with federal and state legislative bodies, offices and agencies.
- Advises the TTUHSC President, Vice President of External Relations and other administration about public policy as it affects the relationship of TTUHSC with federal and state governments.
- Interacts with and advises federal and state governmental officials at all levels of the mission, needs, and activities of TTUHSC.
- Informs the appropriate TTUHSC officials of current operations and long-range developments on the federal and state level which may affect TTUHSC.
- Coordinates the representation of TTUHSC with higher education and research groups in Washington, DC.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups and/or board of regents.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Extensive expertise in dealing with federal and state legislative and executive branch offices and agencies.
- Familiarity with higher education issues, particular knowledge of health-related issues.
- Extensive knowledge of the federal legislative appropriation process and of federal executive branch budgetary, granting and rule-making processes.
Minimum Hire Rate
salary commensurate with related education, experience and/or skills
Master's degree and/or law degree preferred.
HSC - Lubbock
Cover Letter, Professional/Personal References, Resume / CV
Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.
- Other duties as assigned.
As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.
Bachelor's degree required in appropriate field based on assigned area of responsibility; eight years of professional and management experience in related area. Additional job-related education may substitute for required experience on a year-for-year basis.
The successful candidate will have eight or more years of senior level experience with major responsibility for interacting with federal, legislative and executive branch agencies and offices on legislative appropriation and public policy matters.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Graduate of accredited college or university with special training in government, political science, public administration, or public health. Eight or more years of senior level experience with major responsibility for interacting with federal, legislative and executive branch agencies and offices on legislative appropriation and public policy matters.
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 417015